Sunday, January 25, 2009

BELL TERRE

I finished this work of my house on Belle Plains Road. It was an old historic Civil War road up from the creek off the Potomac River, into Falmouth and Fredericksburg at the fall line. I was forever finding artifacts from the war as the property was a calvery camp during the march up into battle at Fredericksburg. Miss Elizabeth, over 100, died in the room with the light on. She was a seamstress in life and when renovating the house, I found her needles and cases along with handmade lace , buttons and woven fabric remnents under the floor. Her spirit stayed on when she passed a hundred years ago and appeared to me several times while I was the owner the property. Why I never painted the house when I was standing in the woods surrounding the place before is unanswered. I named the home Belle Terre because it was. jb

2 comments:

nathalie said...

Love the painting - love the story. Hope you are recovering from everything and everyone is doing OK now.

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

Jeanne, this is gorgeous. I also really love the beach scene. Your pieces have such a great sense of serenity and peace, it's very soothing to look at them with their subtle color layers and gentle lines. So nice. Also, loved hearing you encountered the previous owner -- great story!