Thursday, January 8, 2009

JEANNE BAUER PAINTS DONNA BEVERLY


This was by far the most difficult challenge for me. I painted this portrait of Donna Beverly for the Different Strokes Blog. (SEE LINK RIGHT) We were paired up to paint each others portrait for our year-end challenge. It was difficult. I tried to be loose, but I painted tight. I tried to be colorful but painted too realistic. In fact, there are 32 better paintings under this one but I just had to add that last touch, which blew it, which led to painting over a little more. Then my husband showed up and said no, she's more zen/sad/meditative and I'd add a little more...mouth/lips/nose were changed at least 20 times. jb

3 comments:

Edward Burton said...

Very nice portrait, Jeanne. Your husband is right - she is zen/meditative and you definitely captured that. I also like the Diebenkorn-ish background.

Paula said...

Nice job, Sweetie! I knew you'd do a great portrait. And the image of Belle Plains Rd. is very evocative. Wonder if the ghosts are still there??? Paula

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

Jeanne, I had very similar experiences with mine... hoping to be loose and colorful but ending up with tighter than I wanted on the face itself. I think you did a very cool job here and I like the overall feeling and the emphasis given with big shapes. You're really talented.